Located 75 miles from metro Washington, D.C., in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, The Village at Orchard Ridge offers a small-town village experience amid the rolling hills and apple orchards Winchester, Virginia is known for. Our community offers the best of both worlds: a vibrant social life with access to the historic town of Winchester, plus all the concierge services and hospitality you would expect in a classic small town.
While our campus has everything you need, from fitness and dining to wellness visits and rehabilitation, our activities calendar includes plenty of day trips in and around Winchester and the surrounding communities, as well as the occasional venture into the “big city” of our nation’s capital. Here are just a few things beautiful Winchester has to offer.
Things to do in Winchester, Virginia
Outdoor enthusiasts, Civil War buffs, country music fans and apple lovers all delight in the charms of Winchester and surrounding Frederick County. A few of the main attractions include:
- Old Town Winchester: A hub of activity, events and shopping, Winchester is a must-see community for visitors far and wide. Popular events include the Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival, the Old Town Farmers Market, guided walking tours of Old Town, and an astonishing array of museums, historic sites, arts and entertainment venues.
- The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley: Enjoy art galleries, exhibits, trails, gardens and more. This museum preserves the rich cultural life and heritage of the Valley and is a “must see” destination for anyone visiting the area.
- Shenandoah University: Winchester residents are fortunate to live close to this college campus. In addition to the vibrant academic lifestyle, the university offers a number of concerts, shows and other cultural events that are open to the public.
- Civil War sites and museums: From John Brown’s raid on Harpers Ferry to myriad burnings, battles and occupations, Winchester is hallowed ground on many fronts. The Shenandoah Valley Battlefields, Civil War Weekend and Harpers Ferry National Park are worth putting on your bucket list.
- Patsy Cline sites: You don’t have to go “walking after midnight” to get your Patsy Cline fix in Winchester. Her historic house and the Patsy Cline Music Festival are absolute musts—you’re “crazy” if you miss out.
- Farmers markets and orchards: Our community is called Orchard Ridge for a reason, and we are blessed to live among the many farms, markets and orchards that put our community on the map.
- Vineyards and breweries: Virginia has become quite a hub for craft beer and fine wines, and you’ll find both in the Winchester area, as well as Winchester Cider Works.
When you live in Winchester, Virginia, every day is an adventure. In these hills, you will find more than you can explore in a lifetime, so contact us to get started today.